Should I Leave Money in My Will for my Child with Special Needs?

estate planning special needs child children wills trust south shore ma

This is a question we are frequently asked, and the answer may surprise you: no.

When planning for a loved one with special needs, you must be extremely careful and always work with an experienced lawyer, because if handled improperly, you can easily disqualify your loved one with special needs from much-needed government benefits. Because individuals with special needs often require a lifetime of care, many rely on government programs to offset the exorbitant costs of such care.

However, these programs have strict income limits, so if you leave money directly to a person with special needs, even through your will, you risk disqualifying him or her for those benefits. Instead, the government allows assets to be held in what’s known as a Special Needs Trust to provide supplemental financial resources for the person for the rest of his or her life, while preserving their access to government benefits.

However, the rules for Special Needs Trusts are complicated and can vary greatly between different states, so if you have a loved one with special needs, be sure to consult with us.

We can make certain that upon your death, your loved one with special needs would have the financial means they need to live a full life, without jeopardizing their access to vital government benefits.